[Fedora-packaging] Kernel modules (was: Re: tpctl in extras missing dependancy for kernel-module-thinkpad)

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Jun 29 01:27:31 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 08:14:22PM -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> Yes. If you need to use the version number of the module itself without
> a build revision, then we can use something like:
> Provides: kernel-module-openafs-version = 0.6.3

This seems yicky.

What if we do this, and so we're providing kernel-module-openafs-version =
1.3.84, and then the upstream decides to do a bugfix release and call it
1.3.84.1? With your scheme, our old kernel module was *already* 1.3.84.1.

Why *not* just put package release #s in the package release #?