[Fedora-packaging] Importing tetex packages question

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Thu Mar 24 00:22:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:29:37 +0000, José Pedro Oliveira wrote:

> Before importing the following tetex packages SRPMS - tetex-bytefield,
> tetex-xcolor, tetex-pgf. tetex-beamer - I would like to pose a question
> regarding the source file version control done by/in the CVS side cache
> (make upload FILES=...):
>
> Description of the problem:
> The source tarballs for the above tetex packages are all created on the
> fly by the DANTE CTAN master mirror.  The main problem is that CTAN only
> has the latest version of every package and that the tarball generated
> has no version in its name (see for example:
> http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/RPMS/tetex-bytefield.spec).
>
> Although there is a possibility of finding versioned tarballs for
> some of the above packages, the problem remains for other CTAN Latex
> packages - no author homepage with versioned tarballs.
>
> Question:
> Should I manually had a version to the DANTE generated tarball? Or
> can the CVS accept a new tarball with the same name when a package
> update occurs

The lookaside cache can accept file changes which result in a changed MD5
fingerprint. I recommened, however, that you be more explicit with file
naming and insert the date of download into the otherwise non-versioned
tarball file name, e.g. bytefield-20030523.tar.gz instead of just
bytefield.tar.gz