[Fedora-packaging] gnome-screensaver packaging problem

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 16:42:45 UTC 2005

On 10 Sep 2005 10:56:25 -0300, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sep  9, 2005, Ricardo Veguilla Gonzalez <veguilla at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Problem #1 - Since gnome-screensaver is a gnome replacement for
> > xscreensaver
>
> If it's a replacement for something in Core, it seems to me that it
> should not be in Extras, but rather in an Alternatives repository, no?

Its not clear to me whether or not gnome-screensaver is actually
mutually exclusive with xscreensaver.  It might be more like
mozilla/firefox like relationship. with the xscreensaver-extras  are
"plugins" that both can use.

If there are no explict file conflicts users might very well be able
to have both installed...or replace one with the other for similar
functionality. Certaintly users will not be able to run both
xscreensaver and gnome-screensaver at the same time..but I don't think
that sort of thing is a blocker from extras.  I haven't actually tried
to mock up his specfile yet to see if there are file conflicts though.

If the intent is to have installation of gnome-screensaver to always
remove xscreensaver-base automatically..then no..thats not extras
appropriate.

-jef