[Fedora-packaging] get further rid of uname -r in the kmod stuff and solve the remaining kmod problem

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Aug 14 18:23:42 UTC 2006

On Monday 14 August 2006 14:06, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Yum will install:
>  kmod-foo-1.3.2.6.17-1.2171_FC5
> *and remove*
>  kmod-foo-1.2.2.6.17-1.2157_FC5
>  kmod-foo-1.2.2.6.17-1.2171_FC5
> in the same transaction because the module location of
> kmod-foo-1.2.2.6.17-1.2171_FC5 and kmod-foo-1.3.2.6.17-1.2171_FC5 would
> conflict. *This remove is the problem Axel complains about.*

I could see it removing kmod-foo-1.2.2.6.17-1.2171_FC5, but why does it also
remove kmod-foo-1.2.2.6.17-1.2157_FC5?  Wouldn't that be in a different
module tree?

> == Proposed solution ==
>
> Install the kernel-module to
>
> /lib/modules/kabi/MODULE/VERSION-RELEASE/{MODULES...}.ko
>
> and remove the
>
> "Requires: kernel<?kernel-flavour>-<?kernel-version>
>
> Details:
>
> We avoid the file conflicts noted in "Problem" above due to the
> "VERSION-RELEASE" in the path. So yum will always install the module and
> there won't be any conflicts.
>
> But how will the kernel find the module there? "/sbin/weak-modules", the
> script from the kabi stuff can create links to the proper places. It
> does this already for modules installed in the proper place and kernels
> that have the compatible kabi. It would be needed to adjust some
> pathnames in the script, but that shouldn't be to hard.
>
> And why remove the Requires? Well, with the kabi stuff it might happen
> (not that often in Fedora, but on RHEL often) that a module runs fine on
> a newer kernel. We wouldn't have to build a new module in that case.
> *But* this requires would fire back because the kmod will get removed by
> the depsolver when the kernel is was build for gets uninstalled.
> Therefor it needs to be removed.

Also, with the kabi stuff, the Requires should get done automatically to an
ABI version.  If the next kernel has an ABI change, and you rebuild the
module, thats cool, it picks up the new ABI in the automatic Requires.  No
manual intervention.

I would _really_ like to get JCM involved in this discussion, especially on
the proper place to drop these modules so that a respin for one kernel won't
remove modules from an older kernel.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora