[Fedora-packaging] Re: iconcache scriptlets

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue Dec 5 16:01:41 UTC 2006

Enrico Scholz wrote:

> rdieter at math.unl.edu (Rex Dieter) writes:
>
>> I posted this proposal awhile back:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ScriptletSnippets/iconcache
>>
>> Don't remember seeing much (any?) feedback, so everyone must agree with
>> it. (:
>>
>> I'd like to get this discussed and ratified by the committee.
>
> Why the 'touch' stuff?

The fdo spec mandates the timestamp of the installed-to icon dir *must* be
updated.

> At least 'gtk-update-icon-cache' knows a '--force'
> option which should have the wanted effect but adds less clutter.

Dropping the 'touch' and using *only* gtk-update-icon-cache --force  (or
even xdg-icon-resource forceupdate) would require the tool to be present at
install-time, and necessitate
Requires(post,postun): foo
which, imo, should be avoided, if at all possible.

Further, one of the major motivations for the proposal was to avoid the use
of of any toolkit-specific tool (ie, gtk-update-icon-cache).  I (and many
others) have long argued that it is inappropriate to shoe-horn a
toolkit-specific gtk-update-icon-cache into *every* package installing
icons.  I would like to hope that updating the packaging guidelines thusly
would "motivate" the gtk2 maintainer to do something about the
long-standing:
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/170335

-- Rex