[Fedora-packaging] Re: iconcache scriptlets

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 19:52:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 10:06 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 15:36 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> >> I posted this proposal awhile back:
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ScriptletSnippets/iconcache
>
> > I'm sorry I missed the initial announcement of this.  I think your
> > revisions make sense after xdg-utils go into Core and the requirement
> > tree for gtk2 is in place (hicolor-icon-theme should work fine for
> > this).  Changing the guidelines before that would break things that
> > currently work. (Or we could place a hard Require:s on xdg-utils until
> > it was fixed.)
>
> In any case, nothing would break.  At worst, gtk apps would suffer a
> performance penalty, at least until gtk2 is fixed:
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/170335
> (a personal packaging pet-peave).

Yes.  Which is a regression.

I agree that 170335 should be fixed, though.

There's three issues with gtk-update-icon-path in that bug:
1) It would be great if we didn't have to call gtk-update-icon-cache in
every rpm that provides icons
2) gtk-update-icon-cache is inefficient as it may get called multiple
times when several packages that install icons are installed in the same
transaction (and it really only needs to be run once).
3) gtk2 needs to run gtk-update-icon-cache (or the xdg equivalent) in
its %post so all the packages which defer updating the cache until gtk2
is installed have the cache updated when that happens.

> > Is there an RFE open to get xdg-utils into Core and make the necessary
> > changes?
>
> IMO, it's a no-brainer, but likely not relavant, due to the proposed/likely
> merge of Core/Extras for FC-7 (see
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraSummit/OpeningCore)

It's still relevant since we're going to spin some sort of distro
(rather than say, "hey kids, here's a bunch of packages!")  What needs
to happen is that gtk2 needs to Require: xdg-utils (and use it in its %
post ;-)  In FC-6 this would require xdg-utils to move to Core.  In
Fedora 7, hopefully the "move to Core" part will be superfluous.  But
xdg-utils will need to be part of whatever platform gtk2 belongs to.

-Toshio