[Fedora-packaging] Re: Re: iconcache scriptlets

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 23:32:16 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 15:27 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> >> Bingo.  Bugs should be addressed in their proper domain, and I would
> >> argue strongly that the proper domain in the gtk2 (bug #170335) case is
> >> *gtk2*, not Packaging/Guidelines.
> >
> > We have had and continue to have many pieces of guidelines which are
> > held up by or written to account for bugs in support packages (rpm,
> > scriptlets in Core packages, etc).
> > In this case, I'd be okay with the changes to iconcache with
>
> or I would have no problem with
> 0) hold publication of the new guideline pending one of:
>   a) wait (indefinitely) until gtk2 bug is fixed
>   b) give gtk2 maintainer reasonable time to fix (2-4 weeks?), then just do
> it.
>   c) (I'm almost serious): make gtk2-fixbug170335-hack package, and use
>   Requires(post,postun): gtk2-fixbug170335-hack
>   (:

I could live with holding the guidelines pending updates to the core
packages as well.  I'd add d) hicolor-iconcache utilitizes xdg-utils.

> If possible, I'd rather avoid complicating the guidelines (and packagers)
> lives with the, imo, unecessary extra baggage entailed with 1 or 2, by
> introducing a new Requires(post,postun): xdg-utils
> But, if the rest of the comittee is agreeable to the idea, I'll play along.

True but there's a good possibility the changes won't be implemented for
all versions of FC anyhow.  That means that we'll have to carry separate
instructions for FCX and FCY no matter what.

-Toshio