[Fedora-packaging] Re: Proposal to limit file deps

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Dec 21 13:10:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 08:55:25PM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Hey all, I've just added a draft proposal for limiting file dependencies
> in packages.  It's a "should" recommendation at this point.
>
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/FileDeps
>
> = File Deps Guideline =
>
> == Problem ==

How often does this problem really occur? I just checked core's x86_64
packages and there are exactly 12 files in such dependencies
affecting 18 packages out of 2422 (that's 0.7%):

  cman-kernel dlm-kernel gamin-python gdm GFS-kernel gnbd-kernel httpd
  ImageMagick-perl inn libvirt-python libxml2-python libxslt-python
  openldap-servers openmotif openssh-server python-lcms redhat-lsb
  vsftpd

That's 0.7%. I thought that the problem was much larger. I either
miscalculated the number of file dependencies or there is no problem :)

(At least not one that has to be solved by creating new guidelines,
most of these packages like lsb or kernel modules seem to need special
handling anyway)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net