[Fedora-packaging] Re: iconcache, v0.5

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Dec 22 19:33:14 UTC 2006

AT> I'd prefer that over 3) because if you have a folder inotify a
AT> daemon you'd be running the updating again several times per
AT> larger rpm transaction. Unless that daemon would have a wait
AT> timeout on inotifies to collect several triggers, but then it
AT> sounds easier to do 4)

Besides, how do you then update the cache during, say, the initial
install, or if I install some packages in single-user mode?
Hopefully the installer won't have to start a pile of daemons just to
get a proper system.

I have to wonder, are the people who advocate keeping a daemon running
forever to keep things in sync over a one-line crontab the same ones
who oppose xdg-utils because it's a shell script of moderate length?
Because if so, there seems to be a significant disconnect there and
I'm having trouble figuring out what the rules are.

 - J<