[Fedora-packaging] (Un)packaging partly patented software

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Dec 28 17:15:37 UTC 2006

Hi,

I think I had read somehwere, or we just discussed it (?), that for
tarballs carrying potential patent infringing bits it is not enough to
build/package the other parts, but that also the src.rpm needs to be
kept clean.

E.g. the upstream tarball needs to be unpacked, the patent encumbered
bits removed/patched out and the result repackaged into a new tarball
(for example into foo-1.2-patentfree.tar.gz)

Am I remembering correctly? Do we have something like a procedure in
the wiki on creating these modified tarballs and commenting the
specfile approriately (I couldn't find anything when searching for
"patents", but there were perhaps too many hits ...).

If not shouldn't we come up with one? The procedure needs to be
documented and be reproducable for reviewers to be able to confirm
that the tarball "matches" upstream indeed, since they won't have any
nice md5sum method to compare.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net