[Fedora-packaging] Re: rpms/haddock/devel haddock.spec,1.2,1.3

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Jul 1 03:33:28 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 09:31 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 15:58 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 14:31 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > * To make file deps on tools being used in %pre|post scripts mandatory.
> >
> > +1 when the tools are really required.  An example when they are not is
> > eg. the GTK+ icon cache entry at
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ScriptletSnippets
> >
> What is the reason to use file dependencies?  Clarity when comparing
> Requires to scriptlets?  To protect against programs moving to a
> different package?
My motivation is to protect package maintainers and installers against
* tools moving to different packages.
* tools moving to different places.

Actually, I would like to see a policy of this kind implemented:
* All tools being used in rpm-scriptlets must be using an absolute path.
* Each tool being used in rpm-scriptlets must be accompanied by a
corresponding Requires(post|pre|preun|postun|..).

IMO, this would help avoiding such changes breaking upgrade/update paths
and would help avoid users to break their systems.

Ralf