[Fedora-packaging] Re: atrpms kernel modules

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sun Jul 23 06:39:44 UTC 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 17:51 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>> BTW, when we initially discussed the kmod standard there was also (IIRC)
>> a strong resistance from multiple important and well known people at
>> redhat against overloading %{NAME} with the output of "uname -r". I
>> doubt that option changed. Spot? Jeremy? f13?
>
> Yep. I'm still very strongly against overloading %{NAME}. We don't
> permit any other package to do this for any reason, and I don't want to
> start now. Name is not for versioning.

The name is used for versioning in several other packages for similar
reasons (to *sanely* allow more than one version of the package
simultaneously installed and updated), for example:

[pmatilai at cs181077098 ~]$ repoquery 'openssl*'
openssl-perl-0:0.9.8a-5.2.i386
openssl097a-0:0.9.7a-4.2.1.i386
openssl-0:0.9.8a-5.2.i686
openssl-devel-0:0.9.8a-5.2.i386
openssl-0:0.9.8a-5.2.i386
[pmatilai at cs181077098 ~]$ repoquery 'libpng*'
libpng-devel-2:1.2.8-2.2.1.i386
libpng10-0:1.0.18-3.2.1.i386
libpng-2:1.2.8-2.2.1.i386
libpng10-devel-0:1.0.18-3.2.1.i386