Re: [Fedora-packaging] Re: Re: BuildRoot

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 15:48 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Ville Skyttä wrote:
> >
> > /var/tmp/foo-1-1-noarch
> > /var/tmp/foo-1-1-x86_64
>
> Yuck, though, in practice mostly harmless, since we enforce the consistent
> use (ie, not mixing) of either %buildroot or $RPM_BUILD_ROOT.

I don't think it's harmless.  Stuff in /usr/lib/rpm uses $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
no matter what one does inside the specfile.

So if one installs into and otherwise deals with %{buildroot} inside the
spec, chances are that the scripts in /usr/lib/rpm will not operate on
the expected build root.

And if one uses $RPM_BUILD_ROOT everywhere in the specfile, things will
probably work just fine but having %{_target_cpu} in the buildroot
definition is useless for some cases.