[Fedora-packaging] proper way to install emacs lisp add-ons?

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Tue Jun 6 16:39:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 16:53 +0100, Jose Pedro Oliveira wrote:

> Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

> >> Use triggers and ghost the emacs/xemacs directories. For an example see
> >> the fedora-rpmdevtools specfile.
> >
> > Or:
> >
> > Create a sub-package for the emacs lisp add-ons. Naming guideline for
> > this situation is here:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#AddonEmacs
> >
> > I think I'd prefer that over triggers, but either will probably pass
> > review.
>
> If you are talking about installing only one file like
>
>  * emacs/xemacs mode file
>  * emacs/xemacs init file
>  * vim files (eg: syntax file)

My impression is that vim syntax files really need to be separate
subpackages because the directory hierarchy they land in is versioned.
Did you find a way around that?  (Our discussion on IRC was cut short
b/c of the FESCo meeting so I don't know if there's some neat trick you
have in mind.)

>  * bash-completion file
>
> it appears to me a little overkill to create a subpackage but I am
> opened to suggestions.

Overkill but arguably the cleanest.

> Right now, almost every package that installs the above files appears
> to do so in different ways.
>
> Just try to see who owns the directories
>
>  * rpm -qf /etc/bash_completion.d/
>    bash-completion-20060301-1.fc5
>    rpmlint-0.76-1.fc5

So this is the third (and deprecated?) method -- multiple owners of the
directories.