[Fedora-packaging] proper way to install emacs lisp add-ons?

Jose Pedro Oliveira jpo at lsd.di.uminho.pt
Tue Jun 6 18:07:45 UTC 2006

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
[SINP]
>>  * vim files (eg: syntax file)
>
> My impression is that vim syntax files really need to be separate
> subpackages because the directory hierarchy they land in is versioned.
> Did you find a way around that?

I managed to come up with a couple of trigger scripts that allowed
me to install the vim syntax files and still support vim updates
although limited to vim 6.3, 6.4, and 7.0 (FC-3 .. FC-6).

The package ghosts the directories /usr/share/vim/vim{63,64,70}
in order to avoid leaving unowned directories during vim upgrades
or removals.

>>  * bash-completion file
>>
>> it appears to me a little overkill to create a subpackage but I am
>> opened to suggestions.
>>
> Overkill but arguably the cleanest.

Yes. And you still haven't seen the scripts to install vim syntax
files ;)

See the FE asymptote package (specfile also available here
http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/fedora/asymptote.spec).

Again suggestions are welcome to avoid those fragile scripts.

>> Right now, almost every package that installs the above files appears
>> to do so in different ways.
>>
>> Just try to see who owns the directories
>>
>>  * rpm -qf /etc/bash_completion.d/
>>    bash-completion-20060301-1.fc5
>>    rpmlint-0.76-1.fc5
>
> So this is the third (and deprecated?) method -- multiple owners of the
> directories.

jpo
- --
José Pedro Oliveira
* mailto: jpo at di.uminho.pt * http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo *
* gpg fingerprint = F9B6 8D87 859D 1C94 48F0 84C0 9749 9EB5 91BD 851B *