[Fedora-packaging] proper way to install emacs lisp add-ons?

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Jun 6 19:25:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 20:04 +0100, Jose Pedro Oliveira wrote:

> Toshio,
> [SNIP]
> > Additionally, the %ghost trick used for both vim and emacs cleanup will
> > cause double ownership of directories which spot says is not just
> > deprecated but a blocker.
>
> Sorry but I disagree.  Even (or better when) if rpm can remove
> packages in the correct order there are situations you can't
> avoid having two or more packages owning the same directory
> (for good examples check packages in the perl namespace).

The only time we're permitting duplicate directory ownership is when
there is not a clear dependency tree:

Package A uses /usr/foo to store files
Package B uses /usr/foo to store files
Neither package relies on anything that creates /usr/foo, and either
package can be installed independently. Then, and ONLY then can both
packages own /usr/foo.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!