[Fedora-packaging] Mono Packaging Issues

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Jun 14 19:56:19 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 19:43 +0100, Paul wrote:

> The *.dll and *.exe files may be platform agnostic, but the *.so*
> files
> certainly are NOT.
>
> So the easiest solution may be to check to see if any native libraries
> are bundled with the app, and if that's the case stick it under the
> appropriate /usr/lib or /usr/lib64 directory.  Otherwise, stick
> with /usr/lib.

In the attempt to make the hurting stop, I propose that we do the
following:

If the mono package includes .so files, it should use
%{_libdir}/%{name}.

If the mono package does not include .so files, it should be BuildArch:
noarch and use /usr/lib.

EXE files should have a symlink to %{_bindir}.

Mono apps should NOT ship local copies of existant system DLLs without a
really really good reason.

I don't like it, but I think its easier to just draw the line there than
try to rework an entire language.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!