[Fedora-packaging] Open issues with the PHP guidelines

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Thu Jun 29 19:00:20 UTC 2006

Here are some open issues I see with the PHP guidelines.  I don't
pretend that this is exhaustive:

1) The php(ABI) symbol.  The current PHP package (in FC5) provides
   php-api = 20041225; is that sufficient?

2) Somethig equivalent to perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_version).  The base PHP
   package eventually provides a whole bunch of these indicating what
   releases a module could have been written against and still work.
   So php v6 can drop compatibility for anything before v4.2 and the
   package can drop the corresponding :MODULE_COMPAT symbols.

3) It seems there are plenty of extensions which are neither PEAR nor
   PECL.  We need to figure out conventions for those.

4) Scriptlets for registering PEAR packages.

5) There is some functionality in php-pear which only made it in as of
   some specific version, I think 1.4.9, which needs to be there in
   order for something work work.  I don't know the exact details, but
   we need to document them.  (As a bonus, it seems that package has
   a nonzero epoch as well.)

6) We need to work up specfile templates for all three situations if
   appropriate and get them into fedora-rpmdevtools.

 - J<