[Fedora-packaging] Open issues with the PHP guidelines

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Fri Jun 30 11:21:49 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 11:49 +0100, Tim Jackson wrote:

> Of course, there could be a hook in fedora-rpmdevtools which called out
> to "pear make-rpm-spec" if the above was liked but it was considered
> preferable to have all the template specs at least superficially
> generate-able from fedora-rpmdevtools.

I don't personally care where the spec templates come from, but I'd like
all of them be generateable by fedora-newrpmspec.  Its pre-filling
capabilities are pretty limited kludges at the moment, and sounds like
your stuff is capable of much more already, so as long as the result
meets the guidelines, I'd be glad to apply patches that add such a hook.

>From the hook POV, it would be easiest if "pear make-rpm-spec" would
take the package name in a command line option, and would be capable of
emitting the generated template to stdout, perhaps conditionally based
on existence of some other command line option.  Maybe it already works
that way?

I wouldn't like a dependency on pear in rpmdevtools, so on pear
execution failures (eg. when not installed), newrpmspec should probably
just fall back to the generic template.