[Fedora-packaging] License landscape (and question of best pratice)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Mar 7 11:49:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 11:12 +0000, Jose' Matos wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I have packed several R modules. R modules have a description file with a
> license field.
> 	Lots of those modules have as license: GPL version 2 or later.
>
> 	Should this be placed in the spec file as GPL
IMO: This.

>  or allow the fully license as
> described in the DESCRIPTION file?
Do you mean the %description tag? I am opposed to this.

"License: GPL" should be considered enough to provide an informative
overview over a package's licensing.

> 	While searching for tags used in the License field for Extras I got this
> result:

>       1 GPL version 2 or newer
>       1 GPL version 2 or later.
>       1 GPL version 2 or later
>       1 GPLv2
IMO, all these above are superfluous and should be changed into "GPL",
because current "GPL" always implies "GPLv2 or later/newer".

Ralf