[Fedora-packaging] License landscape (and question of best pratice)

Iago Rubio fedora at iagorubio.com
Wed Mar 8 10:09:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 12:49 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 11:12 +0000, Jose' Matos wrote:
> > 	While searching for tags used in the License field for Extras I got this
> > result:
>
> >       1 GPL version 2 or newer
> >       1 GPL version 2 or later.
> >       1 GPL version 2 or later
> >       1 GPLv2
> IMO, all these above are superfluous and should be changed into "GPL",
> because current "GPL" always implies "GPLv2 or later/newer".

Not all authors agree with this.

[quote from="http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/1/25/273"]

The Linux kernel has always been under the GPL v2. Nothing else has ever been valid.

The "version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version"
language in the GPL copying file is not - and has never been - part of the
actual License itself. It's part of the _explanatory_ text that talks
about how to apply the license to your program, and it says that _if_ you
want to accept any later versions of the GPL, you can state so in your
source code.

[/quote]

So at least the GPLv2 one - being it the Linux kernel - should remain
GPLv2.

--
Iago Rubio