[Fedora-packaging] Charter of Fedora Packaging Group (was: Conflicts in Core and Extras packages)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Nov 14 08:14:39 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 07:08:36AM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> For those of you that are not on fedora-advisory-board find attached a
> discussion with Michael Schwendt on that list that IMHO falls in the
> area of the Packaging Committee. Could you guys please handle that? tia!

> But I don't think there is anything to do for FESCo *before* there are
> general packaging rules in the guidelines that clarify when Conflicts
> are allowed/acceptable and when not (for both Core and Extras).

I think this is wrong (not the contents, but the responsibilities).

There is no real charter or manifesto of this group and there are
often topics brought up that are questionable on whether this group
should be able to decide on it. But I think the implied work is on
"how, not why/what" to package. E.g. methology vs policies.

It is FC and fesco and any higher boards that setup policies and some
of them are even holy grails like conflicts/replacements/overrides
between FC and FE. We can't solve such a dispute, we can only
implement the boards' decisions.

In short: You're god, and we're the apostels writing down your will,
but you must first make up your will within the divine trinity or any
other god model ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net