[Fedora-packaging] Extras package enables 3rd party repository

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Oct 19 09:07:40 UTC 2006

Michael Schwendt wrote :

> Do we want to permit packages in Fedora Extras, which install and enable
> by default a 3rd party repository?
>
> Forwarded message below.
>
> It doesn't affect me personally, but in general it would be a tendency
> I dislike, particularly since this broke the user's system due to
> unavailability of the added repo.
>
> I don't want to file a bug report about this without prior backing from
> the FPG.
>
> [...]

I don't see the point of enabling new repositories from within Extras
packages. If more stuff needs to be available, then it should go in
Extras, period. If it can't go in Extras, then it probably can't be
enabled automatically either for the same (legal) reasons.

I would favour disallowing this, for the reason above, and encourage
packagers to import and maintain their packages in Extras.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5.92 (FC6 Test3) - Linux kernel 2.6.18-1.2759.fc6
Load : 0.11 0.17 0.17