Re: [Fedora-packaging] Re: Full repo rebuilds

On Tuesday 10 April 2007 09:12:03 Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Yes, this is certainly true, because I've often encountered packages that
> > don't actually rebuild anymore, or worse, rebuild, but act entirely
> > differently. The latter is particularly what I want to avoid. I think we
> > should force-rebuild all packages somewhere in the middle of the
> > development cycle.
>
> There is no guarantee that a rebuild in the middle of the development
> cycle magically makes the packages rebuildable all the way through the
> final release.

Exactly.  It's a false sense of security.  Actually looking at the continuous
rebuild reports and diffing the package sets or maybe even doing some
automated testing with them is the only way to know.  And hey, automated
testing of package functionality is a good thing, whether done at an
automatic throwaway rebuild time or done when a change is introduced into the
live package set.  Just rebuilding everything at an arbitrary time and hoping
for the best is not a solution.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora