Re: [Fedora-packaging] Re: Full repo rebuilds

On Tuesday 10 April 2007 09:33:29 Axel Thimm wrote:
> 1 100%
> 2 99.7%
> 3 100%
> 4 96.6%
> 5 99.991%
> 6 95%
> 7 80%
>
> So as you see, up to F7 Core had really been effectively rebuilt on
> each release with FC4 and FC5 being the most "sloppy" ones leaving
> 3.4% and 5% resp. not rebuilt. With F7 Core drops down to 80% rebuild
> rate. This *is* a new release model.

What I'm saying is that these numbers often happen naturally instead of forced
by a full rebuild.  _That_ is the model that hasn't changed.  The ONLY time
we've done a forced rebuild is for technical reasons and NOT for arbitrary
reasons like "hrm, this is test2, maybe we should rebuild everything just for
the hell of it" or "there is a lot of disttags that haven't been updated,
lets do rebuilds to reset them, that sounds like a good idea...".

Rebuilding for technical reasons is fine, relying upon throwaway rebuilds to
find said technical reasons is strongly encouraged.  Picking arbitrary points
to forcefully rebuild everything is not.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora