[Fedora-packaging] Re: satic libs package naming

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Apr 20 11:42:59 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 13:33 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > You know my opinion on this argument of yours: You are abusing Linux.
> >
> > Not at all. I have specific needs.
>
> I think Ralf means that you are abusing Linux by computing numerical
> models and doing serious number crunching. Go play a game ;)
>
> (P.S. there is a smiley, but nevertheless: the above is a joke!)

Of cause not .. I guess, I know what Pat's "special needs" are:
Cross-distro packaging:

- Sharing binaries across different distros, e.g. running Fedora built
apps on SuSE, Debian, Ubuntu and older RH based distros.

- Storing binaries for long-term to be able to reproduce results long
time after the distro they had been built on has been EOL'ed

- Reproducibility of results by eliminating the impact of multilibs, tls
etc.

He tries to achieve this by statically linking apps. This works for some
very simple apps (Pure numeric apps often qualify as such - Complex
mathematical algorithms but very simple wrt. system resources), but
doesn't work in general.

The g77/gfortran issue he reported in recent days probably are related
to this ;)

Ralf