[Fedora-packaging] tex related packages names

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Thu Aug 30 10:17:44 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 09:55:00AM +0100, José Matos wrote:
> On Thursday 30 August 2007 08:30:53 Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I propose tex packages to be named
> > tex-something
> > instead of
> > tetex-something
>
>   Why not latex-something instead?
>
>   The packages are latex packages after all...
>
> > I also think that it is not worth renaming existing packages with
> > tetex-, at least for now, maybe later, but instead have them
> > Provides:   tex-something = %{version}-%{release}
>
>   As soon as tetex is gone the name tetex- will be weird. The funny part is
> that we only have this problem because we have named the packages not
> following our general guidelines (packages are named after the language, not
> the implementation). ;-)

How about removing the prefix completely? Package description should be
sufficient to figure out it ships a TeX related stuff and we don't have many of
them currently. I see the only purpose of the prefix to avoid conficts with
already existing packages, in that case (la)tex-* or suffix *-(la)tex is ok IMO.

Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>   http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/