[Fedora-packaging] Heads up: tomcat6 package into Fedora 9

Fernando Nasser fnasser at redhat.com
Wed Dec 12 19:46:01 UTC 2007

Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 13:14 -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>> I guess since tomcat 5 uses "tomcat5" for its
>> initscript there wouldn't be any conflict, but is there any point to
>> running both versions at the same time?
>
> I think what Fernando proposes is ability to install both versions at
> the same time -- not running them at the same time, right? Yeah, they
> will conflict in the default port settings, etc, but this will probably
> not be an issue.

You actually can.  You just need to config the ports to different
numbers.  One can run more than one instance of the same tomcat5 version
BTW, it was added in one of the latest revisions.

The installation of parallel versions of tomcat exists for several years
already, that is why they are called tomcat3, tomcat4, tomcat5 and
tomcat6 instead of just tomcat.  It happens that we started shipping a
tomcat5 in Fedora, so we never noticed that.

Cheers,
Fernando