Re: [Fedora-packaging] Re: Re: Wrong buildroot ...

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Matthias Saou wrote:

Rex Dieter wrote :

Joe Orton wrote:

Standardising an inadequate workaround and
having packagers go through fixing N hundred spec files to match seems
like a waste of time.

*sigh*.  One justification the FPC had used for mandating a standard
buildroot was to avoid the waste of time associated with endless debates on
mailing lists and package reviews.  So much for that plan.  (:

The "standard" buildroot plan is a good plan, as long as the goal
involves ripping it out from all spec files once and for all (i.e. have
a sane default set for rpmbuild).

I keep repeating this, sorry, but am I the only one who'd like to see
all useless and repetitive stuff taken out of spec files?
- BuildRoot
- The "-q" to %setup
- BuildRoot cleanup when %install and %clean start
- %defattr(-,root,root,-) or %defattr(-,root,root,0755)

Heh, actually this last one item (cause of no-end stupid mistakes) has actually already been fixed in RPM while we weren't looking. In /usr/share/doc/rpm-*/CHANGES:

4.3.3 -> 4.4:
        - silently add default %defattr(-,root,root) for all packages.

And that indeed seems to be the case. One check-item less in the package review procedure.

	- Panu -