[Fedora-packaging] Java naming scheme

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 23:15:28 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 15:51 -0500, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > Therefore any Group functionality added to rpm now, should be
> > implemented outside of rpm when we get Categories.  As long as you're
> > okay with the functionality that you're currently implementing being
> > moved to another tool (for instance, yum or a program in yum-utils) then
> > I'm okay with this.
> >

> That is what I haven't understood.  It doesn't have to be in rpm at all,
> anything that produces the list of packages in that Category can be used.

Cool.  No objections from me then.

> >> In any case, I am not trying to add any new switch or functionality,
> >> just fix an existing one that has an annoying shortcoming ('rpm -q
> >> --group' does not take a regexp/glob).
> >>

> > That's fine.  Like I say I'm not judging how likely it'll get into rpm,
> > just that the functionality probably needs to live in another tool when
> > we move to categories.
> >
> It is OK.   I was just trying to accelerate things but perhaps it would
> be wise to wait a little bit,
>
> Are we removing the Groups table from the database?

The way this is looking is that we'll be making the Group tag optional
when building rpms.  We'll port our tools to use the external Categories
file instead.  We'll encourage or help port third party tools (like apt
and smart) to to be able to use the external file as well.

The group table in the database will still be there but there won't be
any guarantees that it holds useful information.

> > Yep. Just letting you know if you're doing some hacking in this area to
> > be aware that the backend could change here.  And it's early in the
> > process so you can be a part of making this decision as well.
> >

> Is that wiki page you've pointed us to the only place to watch ATM?
>
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SIGs/Comps/PackageGroupEnhancements

Unfortunately it's the only place on the wiki that has information but
there's currently no place that's focusing the efforts.  The Packaging
Committee and FESCo have discussed dropping the Group tag and have
authorized rpm to allow packages without the Group tag, but no change to
the Guidelines has been made to allow approving packages without the
Group Tag.  We want the alternative categorization infrastructure to
exist first.

The alternative is likely to be enabled via the package db so some
effort is going in there.  However, the deployment that depsolvers see
needs to use a file in the repository rather than an SQL database.  This
is where using comps.xml or a separate format comes in.  This ties into
yum as yum will need to work with whatever file format is chosen.

-Toshio