[Fedora-packaging] License Tag Draft

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jul 27 06:24:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 01:24 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 06:58 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Whatfor? Somebody from the "dark circles" at RH ordered you to do so
> > and
> > because of the GPLv3 had been introduced. I call this overreaction and
> > hysteria ...
>
> Repeat after me. There is no conspiracy. No one ordered me to do this. I
> volunteered.

OK, then this plan all grow on your own soil?

Then this isn't much more but a: "I, Spot, want my pony"?

> The immediate motivation was concern over GPLv3 and LGPLv3
> compatibility, as packagers were innocently violating licensing due to a
> lack of awareness, and there was no mechanism in place to automate basic
> package license checking due to a lack of standardization.
>
> However, as Smooge pointed out, this is something that a lot of people
> have known needed to be done since FC2 (and likely, before).
Well, this isn't the first time this issue pops up. We even discussed
and rejected a similar proposal on FPC before. Just reiterating and
re-proposing something doesn't make a plan/proposal more useful.

> And yes, the Licensing wiki is not the utopian mechanism for this.
> Having this data in the PackageDB makes a lot more sense to me, but
> we'll start here and grow.

"We'll start here and grow" .. do you sense what you are saying here?

You are saying: "I, Spot, have decided and am dictating the community
what to do" 8()

Ralf