[Fedora-packaging] /srv

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jun 26 23:08:29 UTC 2007

Sorry I couldn't make it today (and FWIW I will be quite short of time
until mid September).

On the /srv issue: The FHS is deliberately not providing any layout on
how to internally structure this, as there are at least two very
popular ones (both of them mentioned in the FHS):

/srv/<service>/[<domain>/]...
/srv/<domain>/<service>/...

As neither fits universally and Fedora is a general purpose distro we
should not impose any layout on the users but allow them to freely use
any layout they like. There are extended version of this argumentation
on this list and f-m-l

E.g. no package (other than filesytem) should ever place/own anything
under /srv. Packages that need a dummy or default data location should
use /var instead.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net