[Fedora-packaging] perl-* build dependencies

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Mar 10 10:57:54 UTC 2007

Hello,

Whether the perl/perl-devel split in devel (#226276) is here to stay or not,
I'd like to make the attached change to the rpmdevtools perl spec template.

Using perl(ExtUtils::MakeMaker) as the "base" build dependency is correct in
the vast majority of cases, no matter in which package ExtUtils::MakeMaker is
included.  Packages using Module::Build should change the dep to
perl(Module::Build) - that'll pull in ExtUtils::MakeMaker too in case it's
needed for Module::Build's non-compat mode.

Doing the build dep this way should work for all distro versions as-is without
the need to put ugly conditionals on whether to pull in perl-devel or not or
whatever other perl package reorganizations we might see in the future.  I
see some packagers have already started to make those unnecessary specfile
complications/per-distro forks so it'd be good to have this in the spec
template as well as applicable Wiki pages as soon as possible.

Comments, objections?