[Fedora-packaging] [DRAFT] Post Release Naming/Tags

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Mar 31 21:06:04 UTC 2007

Le samedi 31 mars 2007 à 16:02 -0400, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
> On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 17:54 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
> > Take ConsoleKit-libs for example. Someone blindly matched upstream. So
> > it's a one-of-a-kind:
>
> You cannot have it both ways. Either you want us to follow the
> guidelines  ("When naming a package, the name should match the upstream
> tarball or project name from which this software came.") or you want
> some other rule ("everything lowercase")

I don't read this as including random casing, and it seems most others
packagers didn't. Most projects will uppercase their project name (or
even write it all in uppercase) but most packages names are
lowercase-only. Do you want this guideline point clarified?

> Also, if you have a problem
> with the way David and I packaged ConsoleKit, why don't you talk to us
> directly, rather than complaining about "somebody" ?

The casing is hugely annoying but not bug material IMHO. It's a good
example of what happens when blindly following upstream quirks though

> > (and it's totally broken on x86_64 right now because it's not putting
> > its stuff in /lib64 as it should)
>
> Which is totally unrelated to the current discussion, no ?

That was a random grumbling because I'm too cheap to open a bug today,
and I could not raise people on IRC ;)
(though it's not totally unrelated — another example where deviating
from the norm in seemingly harmless ways breaks stuff)

--
Nicolas Mailhot