[Fedora-packaging] Re: paragraph on shipping static numerical libs

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue May 29 08:40:31 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 10:05:20AM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Lun 28 mai 2007 23:32, Axel Thimm a écrit :
> > And how did that single admin get 1000 systems that are obviously
> > similar enough to be managed by a single person? Maybe because the
> > budget allowed to buy a rather homegeneous pile of hardware?
>
> Planning. You only buy systems from the same shortlist several years
> on a row because you know the maintenance burden associated with new
> configs overweights their short-term advantages (that also gives you
> volumes to negociate prices with hardware vendors).

But in serious number crunching the decision of hardware planning is
not left to the IT staff, but the project managers themselves.

We're talking two kind of hw here, simple desktops, where you can
recycle them every second or third year and clusters/mpp systems that
do the hard work.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net