[Fedora-packaging] Python Egg Draft 3

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at a1.balanced.postal.mail.dreamhost.com
Wed Sep 12 19:40:46 UTC 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/PythonEggs
>
> This is the third round of the Python Egg Draft.  It contains changes
> proposed at today's packaging meeting.
>
> # Sep 11, 2007 -- Add note that all eggs must be rebuilt from source.
> * Add summary of egg on-disk formats.
> * Revise where this information will be placed in the Guidelines.
>  o Make most of it its own page
>  o Add a short checklist of Must/Shoulds to go on Packaging/Python.
>
> And from slightly before the meeting:
>
> * Make the switch for eggs within distutils be F9 instead of F8 after
> talking with Jeremy.
>  o Add some mailing list discussions to the links section.
>  o Add a sample README.fedora file.
>
> I think I got everything except virtual Provides and virtual Requires.
> I'd like to make that a separate change to be discussed after we make
> sure we'll switch distutils egg generation on for F9.  My reasoning is this:
>
> * Currently python doesn't have virtual provide symbols like perl or php do.
> * If we turn on egg generation in distutils, practically every python
> module is going to have egg-info.
>
> So if we start now with two separate namespaces python-egg(MODULE) and
> python(MODULE), by F-9 we could have everything using python-egg(MODULE)
> and next to nothing using python().
>
> There are some little wrinkles in this and it may also be affected by
> Panu's work on a python-dependency-extractor for rpm.  I'll send out a
> message on this shortly.

Separating the namespaces is a fundamental problem for the dependency
extractor. For provides this is obviously not an issue, but requires need
to be generated without being able to actually locate (and possibly
import) the actual module. Python syntax for importing egg- and regular
modules is the same, so they need to live in the same namespace,
  otherwise the manual Requires just turn into manual BuildRequires and the
depency extractor will be just adding syntactic sugar for nothing :)

 	- Panu -