[Fedora-packaging] Need help packaging proftpd

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Sat Sep 15 18:07:23 UTC 2007

Jon Ciesla wrote:
>> I'm trying to get a .spec polished and checked in for the release of
>> proftpd-1.3.1, but I'm having a few issues with it.
>>
>> If anyone has the time to offer some assistance, I'd appreciate it.
>>
>> I'm not an RPM guru...  I've skimmed Maximum RPM a couple of times a
>> year or two ago.
>>
>> I just want to get a more recent build of proftpd into the Fedora distro
>> space, and the way to do that is with a proper .spec file in the source
>> tree.
>>
>> Contact me offline if you can provide some comments/guidance.
>>

> Phillip, I tried, but I got. . .
>
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> <philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com>
>     (reason: 554 mail.redfish-solutions.com ESMTP not accepting messages)

> ... while talking to mail.redfish-solutions.com.:
> <<< 554 mail.redfish-solutions.com ESMTP not accepting messages
> 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

Odd.   Not sure why.

If it were my spam filters (they are rather aggressive), you would have
gotten a different message.

I'll look into it.

I'll post the .x86_64.rpm and the .src.rpm files onto
ftp://ftp.redfish-solutions.com/ ... they should be there shortly
(within 15 minutes).

Wasn't sure if I should make "run from inetd (xinetd)" be the default or
not.  Anyone have any strong preferences?  Using xinetd doesn't add a
lot of overhead, except maybe on a very high volume site... and it does
allow the use of tcp-wrappers with no additional configuration (whereas
using mod_wrap.so in standalone mode requires a little more work).

-Philip