[Fedora-packaging] 32- and 64-bit softwares living together

Sérgio Durigan Júnior sergiodj at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Apr 17 18:16:25 UTC 2008

Hi Rex,

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 12:41 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Sérgio Durigan Júnior wrote:
> > Hello folks,
> >
> > I would like to know if there are any efforts to make both 32- and
> > 64-bit versions of the same package "live" together in a system.
>
> 32/64 bit versions of any/all packages?  No.
>
> But if the pkg's in question satisfy fedora's notion/definition of
> multilib (which is complicated in itself), yes.

Well, what happens is that in some archs (specifically PowerPC in our
case) it's very common to have a biarch environment (i.e., 64-bit kernel
and mixed 32/64-bit userspace), so it's not a strange thing to have both
versions of some software installed in the system. I've used Perl as an
example, but I can cite a lot more packages that may need to be
installed correctly in a biarch environment (Python, PHP, Ruby, Apache).
That's the rationale behind my question :-).

BTW, can you please tell me where can I find the multilib definition?
I've been reading
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/MultilibTricks , but I
don't know if it's official.

Thanks,

--
Sérgio Durigan Júnior
Linux on Power Toolchain - Software Engineer