[Fedora-packaging] Best way to add a line to a config file from another package?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Aug 12 16:33:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 07:48:30AM +0300, Vasile Gaburici wrote:
> I need to add line to /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/config.ps to get
> some extra functionality enabled for lcdf-typetools, namely Type 42
> support. The config.ps file is properly marked as a config file in
> texlive-texmf-dvips. Is there some infrastructure that's normally used
> to hack config files or should I just echo "..." >> config.ps?

I think that it is improperly marked as %config. It should not be
touched upon by the user, and should be solely under the upstream or
packagers control. It should be, in my opinion, marked as
%ghost %verify(not size mtime md5)

That being said you are entitled to change that file as a packager
in a post-install script, however
* you should make sure that the change is reverted if your package is
  removed.
* you should be very very careful, since this kind of change can
  easily mess the system. It should be safe to be applied whatever
  the order of package install (as constrained by the Requires),
  and it should not output anything except in very rare cases.

Also if the change can be left in the file, it would even be better
to patch it in telive-texmf.

--
Pat