[Fedora-packaging] Advise on the Samba4/OpenChange stack

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 16:20:59 UTC 2008

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I've been trying to package the OpenChange stack (OpenChange, Samba4 and
> Heimdal) for Fedora, and I'm between a rock and a hard place on the
> packaging of Heimdal (Samba's choice of Kerberos infrastructure).  I can
> either include it in Samba4 (as we do upstream), and break the 'no
> included libraries' rule, or I can propose Heimdal as a package, and
> conflict with krb5-devel and krb5-debuginfo.

Separate library packages.  If it's just the -devel that's an issue,
placing Heimdal's headers in a subdirectory that samba4 can access by
using a -I/usr/include/heimdal, for instance, would work.

> Similarly, the non-library parts of Samba4 do conflict with Samba3.
> (but I'm happy to simply not provide those parts of the package, if it
> comes to it).

Are Samba3 and Samba4 commandline compatible for these?  If so it's
possible that alternatives is what we want to use here.  These are the
criteria:

1) command line compatible
2) app that the sysadmin should deal with, not end users.

-Toshio