[Fedora-packaging] Re: resolving rpmlint absolute symlinks issue

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Aug 16 14:23:56 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 12:26:25AM +1000, David Timms wrote:
> Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 08:11:11 +1000
> > You do a relative link, like this:
> >
> > cd /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pyvnc2swf/
> > ln -s edit.py ../../../../bin/vnc2swf-edit
>
> Actually,
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-June/msg01188.html
> suggests that it will be flagged as a warning unless it's a .so in
> certain locations.
>
> Should the warning be ignored in my case ?

IMHO relative symlinks are asking for trouble. Quite often '../'
constructs break on fs borders. qmake builds are known to suffer from
this.

The argument with chroots and absolute symlinks is valid as well, so
one needs to weigh how often one installs in chroots and accesses the
files w/o checking vs how often people install parts on different
partitions, NFS storage due to bad planning or due to low space
constraints. Corner case vs corner case.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net