[Fedora-packaging] Calling graphical tools generically e.g. text editor

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Aug 28 14:44:43 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 09:32:16AM -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Tim Jackson wrote:
>> I package RapidSVN, a GUI application which acts as an interface to a
>> Subversion repository. Although it has quite a lot of functionality
>> built-in, it relies on external software to perform some functions, in
>> particular:
>>
>> - a text editor e.g. gedit
>> - a diff viewer of some sort (ideally graphical e.g. meld)
>> - a graphical directory browser (e.g. nautilus)
>>
> You could consider using xdg-open (from xdg-utils), which is a
> command-line utility for this kind of thing.  It's purpose is to open
> files/urls using the default app of the current desktop environment
> (kde, gnome, whatever).

I am not sure that it covers what is wanted here. With xdg-open, it is
likely that on text an editor is opened, but it could also be a viewer.
For the diff I don't know. But for directory browsing, I am not sure
that it will work, on my system, it uses kdesvn because it registered
MimeType=inode/directory;

Maybe it is just that inode/directory should be reserved for directory
browsers, and text for editors and not viewers.

--
Pat