[Fedora-packaging] guidelines for dbus services

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Dec 10 02:50:56 UTC 2008

In the light of the recent dbus debacle, I think it would be very good
to add a section about dbus services to the packaging guidelines.

As we have painfully learned, an incorrect policy file for a third-party
service can render the entire system bus unusable, or open it up to
everybody, so it is important that packagers pay attention to the dbus
policy files in their packages.

I don't have a concrete proposal right now, but Colin made a good start
at writing up some best practices here:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2008-December/010717.html

Matthias