[Fedora-packaging] Services enabled by default when installed

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Sat Jan 5 17:15:25 UTC 2008

I've always understood that services should not be enabled by default,
because people tend to install more than they actually want to run.
And of course rpmlint complains about any initscript that starts on by
default.

However, I don't actually see any mention of this in the guidelines,
only this text in ScriptletSnippets:

"
Why don't we....

    * run 'chkconfig <service> on'?
          o If a service should be enabled by default, make this the
            default in the init script. Doing otherwise will cause the
            service to be turned on on upgrades if the user explicitly
            disabled it. Note that the default for most
            network-listening scripts is off. This is done for better
            security. We have multiple tools that can enable services,
            including GUIs.
    * start the service after installation?
          o Installations can be in changeroots, in an installer
            context, or in other situations where you don't want the
            services started.
"

So, is it OK if a packager wants their service enabled by default?

 - J<