[Fedora-packaging] Re: Services enabled by default when installed

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Jan 5 19:47:49 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 11:15:25AM -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> I've always understood that services should not be enabled by default,
> because people tend to install more than they actually want to run.
> And of course rpmlint complains about any initscript that starts on by
> default.
>
> However, I don't actually see any mention of this in the guidelines,
> only this text in ScriptletSnippets:
>
> "
> Why don't we....
>
>     * run 'chkconfig <service> on'?
>           o If a service should be enabled by default, make this the
>             default in the init script. Doing otherwise will cause the
>             service to be turned on on upgrades if the user explicitly
>             disabled it. Note that the default for most
>             network-listening scripts is off. This is done for better
>             security. We have multiple tools that can enable services,
>             including GUIs.
>     * start the service after installation?
>           o Installations can be in changeroots, in an installer
>             context, or in other situations where you don't want the
>             services started.
> "
>
> So, is it OK if a packager wants their service enabled by default?

It probably very much depends on the service in question and the
guidelines can't cover all possible situations, but I can think of
quite a few cases where you'd like it enabled by default like
messagebus, firstboot, crond, etc.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net