[Fedora-packaging] Automatic detection of Requires and versions

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Jan 9 17:12:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 11:58:23AM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Patrice Dumas (pertusus at free.fr) said:
> > If something is added between 2.8 and 2.10 while ABI is kept compatible
> > and the soname isn't changed, and that new thing is needed, then the
> > soname is not enough.
>
> Only in the case when you're running something built against, say
> Fedora 8, on Fedora < 8. (Or Fedora 8 from some number of months
> ago, I suppose, if people are gratuitously upgrading libraries.)

Indeed. But the point is that sometime sonames are not enough.

Now it is up to the packager, he may consider that there is no need of
the versionned requires because there is no such lib in relevant and
maintained fedora/EPEL distros or there is such lib, but also an updated
version and people are supposed to be uptodate.

--
Pat