[Fedora-packaging] New package help

Juan Carlos Cornejo juanucleus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 01:27:20 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I am preparing a package that I will submit for review, and hopefully later,
for inclusion in Fedora.  However, I have run into some issues which I
cannot seem to resolve myself. I write to the list, hoping that some of you
may be able to help me resolve the issues.

First, let me tell you a little bit about the program, as its important to
the issues on hand.

The program is called ROOT, it is a whole analysis framework developed by
CERN that is currently in use in most high energy to medium energy physics
laboratories, and released under the LGPv2+. However, it is written general
enough that it can be applied to other fields that require a complex
analysis framework.  Additionally, ROOT makes use of an internal C/C++
Interpreter, which allows for on the fly scripting of C/C++ code.

So essentially, ROOT is both an analysis package, and a development package,
which really leads into the next problems.

1) the C/C++ interpreter called CINT, produces, as output, DLL files.  I
don't know why, but this is their solution to dynamic libraries that will be
shared across all supported OS's.  They support Linux and many Unices, as
well as Mac OS X and Windows.  These DLL files are compiled by the code, so
we have the source code available, though rpmlint seems to give a warning
about them.  And essentially, I don't know what to make of it.

Here is a sample error: root-devel.x86_64: W: unstripped-binary-or-object
/usr/lib64/root/cint/include/stdcxxfunc.dll

2) Because rpmlint used to complain about header files being in a non devel
package, I moved all header files to the devel package.  But the devel
_MUST_ be installed along with the main package, CINT requires them to be
there.  So if I don't create a devel package, I get hundreds of warnings for
the header files.  If I do create a devel package, and require this devel
package from the core files, I get an error out of rpmlint.

3) This one is not really an I issue I guess, but I figured I might as well
mention it now.  ROOT ships with MS TrueType fonts, for some reason.  So I
just removed them from the package, as I have not had any problems without
them on Fedora.  And I use root extensively.  Also, I've removed some
windows DLL's that were included in the package.  Also not needed for a
Fedora release.  I am hoping that this will not be a problem, having a tar
archive that is slightly different than the upstream one.

Thank you all for your advanced help.  I really hope this program can be
made fit to include in the distribution.

--Juan Carlos Cornejo