[Fedora-packaging] Requires(hint):

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Sat Jun 21 23:05:34 UTC 2008

I've seen packages using Requires(hint): and testing shows that
currently this is handled no differently from a regular Requires:.

I happen to think Requires(hint): is a horrible syntax, because
cognation with Requires(pre, post, preun, etc.): implies that some
%hint scriptlet will be run at some point, but that's neither here nor
there and I suspect that any upstream brain-damage is already a fait
accompli.

However, there's still the question of what to do with Requires(hint):
in Fedora packages.  Either we get rid of it or we need to document
what it does and what it might do in the future.

Strawman proposal: ban use of Requires(hint) in Fedora packages.

Comments?  Votes from FPC folks?

 - J<