[Fedora-packaging] Requires(missingok)

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Mon Mar 3 16:13:17 UTC 2008

PM> Rpm doesn't support that either as of 4.4.2.x, but the parsing of
PM> Requires(foo) attributes is somewhat broken so it doesn't report
PM> the error as such in all cases (yes, it's a bug of course).

What really bothers me is that we already know what Requires(post),
Requires(pre) and such mean.  So going by that, Requires(hint) or
Requires(missingok) would indicate a dependency for the %hint or
%missingok scriptlets.  Which, uh, they don't.

I know that rpm specfile syntax isn't clean by any stretch of the
imagination, but I can't see the motivation for taking something which
actually made sense and shovelling in a load of turds for no reason.

 - J<