[Fedora-packaging] any reason why "sdcc" package transforms pgms to non-standard names?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Mar 16 18:25:08 UTC 2008

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> RPJD>   is this kind of transformation relatively common?
>
> Yes, it is.  See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Conflicts
>
> We don't generally want packages which conflict because they include
> the same binaries; when some package contains any files which are
> generically named and located in standard directories.  Renaming or
> relocation is the standard solution.
>
> Dealing with this situation in a package that depends on things which
> have been renamed isn't usually too difficult, although in this case I
> don't know what the simplest solution is.  One almost wishes for a
> directory containing symlinks that you could add to the head of $PATH.

And such a directory is a standard part of the Fedora sdcc package:
rpm -ql sdcc
<snip>
/usr/libexec/sdcc/as-gbz80
/usr/libexec/sdcc/as-hc08
/usr/libexec/sdcc/as-z80
/usr/libexec/sdcc/aslink
/usr/libexec/sdcc/asx8051
/usr/libexec/sdcc/link-gbz80
/usr/libexec/sdcc/link-hc08
/usr/libexec/sdcc/link-z80
/usr/libexec/sdcc/makebin
/usr/libexec/sdcc/packihx
/usr/libexec/sdcc/s51
/usr/libexec/sdcc/savr
/usr/libexec/sdcc/sdcc
/usr/libexec/sdcc/sdcclib
/usr/libexec/sdcc/sdcdb
/usr/libexec/sdcc/sdcpp
/usr/libexec/sdcc/shc08
/usr/libexec/sdcc/sz80
/usr/share/doc/sdcc-2.6.0
/usr/share/doc/sdcc-2.6.0/INSTALL.txt
/usr/share/doc/sdcc-2.6.0/README.fedora
<snip>

So the solution is to:
1) rtfm, aka README.fedora, where this is described
2) do "export PATH=/usr/libexec/sdcc:$PATH" before trying to build
    openwrt and / or add this to your .bashrc

Regards,

Hans